Sunday, January 4, 2009

Last day of vacation :(

Yep...I've been spoiled by being off work since Dec. 23rd...the kids & I are not looking forward to getting back to the "real world" tomorrow but I guess it had to come sometime! We had a busy start to our week but were realllly lazy the last half!

On Monday, I took the girls to Evansville to spend the Christmas money that was burning a major hole in their pockets...first stop - Build-A-Bear (of course!) Em "built" a cute little dog she named "Pookie", Hannah "blinged" out a monkey that she named "Pinky" and Kate "prettied" up a dog named "Angel" w/ pink sequins....that place was total chaos but the girls were all very patient while we waited...and waited and waited. We also went to Bath & Body, Victoria's Secret, Old Navy and the candy shop plus ate at T.G.I.Fridays...yum! After a stop at Shoe Carnival, we picked up Nick from the Coy's and headed home.

The girls prior to "stuffing" their animals

My baby brother Jonah came to spend the afternoon w/ the kids on Tuesday so I could meet Shane in Jasper for a "date" at the new buffalo wings restaurant (similiar to Buffalo Wild Wings). All it cost me was homemade tacos for Jonah for his lunch plus I made him my apparently "famous" cheeseball that all his friends are now raving about...just the same 'ol cheeseball I grew up eating but quite the crowd pleaser!

Wednesday & Thursday were spent at home - I don't think I got out of my pj's either day until well into the afternoon - what a slug! We did absolutely nothing New Year's Eve besides chill at home watching TV...we let the kids stay up 'til 8:30 - WOW, a whole 1/2 hour later than usual :) I promise - we are not "Hitler" parents...we just have more rules than most people - and for good reasons! We have 4 kids that are practically the same age so just imagine the chaos that we would endure w/out a fair amount of rules! And as far as the bedtime goes - we have kids that wake up at the same time each morning (7am) regardless of what time they went to bed...not usually worth the extra hour of "awake" time the night before if its going to result in cranky kids!

Shane's been working on a special project this week for Nick - a loft bed w/ a desk & closet underneath...Nick is so excited that he can barely stand it! He desperately needs a closet b/c his clothes are finally outgrowing his chest of drawers and the desk is b/c he also says he's "outgrowing" his Little Tykes tool bench...such a little man! Can I say how impressed I am by my husband's woodworking skills?! He's also built the twins' beds plus various bookshelves, end tables, etc. The bed is now done & just waiting for its paint - Shane & Nick took it out to my in-laws this morning b/c Shane's shop is too little to paint in but we need to wait for a non-rainy day to actually do the painting.

Bed-building at its finest


On Friday, I took our 4 kids plus 3 friends of the girls' to meet Abbie & Max at the movies - what a crew!! The girls were so cute w/ their purses & girly attitudes...we let them sit together away from us so they all thought they were pretty grown-up! We saw "Bedtime Stories" w/ Adam Sandler - pretty cute movie and only rated PG so its a movie that parents & kids can both enjoy. While we were at the movies, Shane lined up a babysitter so he & I could go out to dinner - 2 dates in one week!

Yesterday & today have been spent at home...nothing too exciting outside of laundry & a little house cleaning - just saving up energy for next week I guess. You may notice my new "vacation ticker" in the sidebar - its hard to believe that we've been planning this Hawaii vacation for exactly a year!! Absolutely CAN'T WAIT!!!

3 comments:

Chelsa said...

i've been off most of the past 2 weeks as well and i wasn't ready for this morning to come either! hope your day goes good. brycen was a mess and did not want to go back to preschool/daycare today, what a way to start off the morning!

glad you got two date nights in one week, what a treat! :)
and i loved staying in my pj's over the holidays while i was home too!

Jen said...

I am back at work after being off since the 23rd. It is like a culture shock. I am relearning what to do!!!!

This morning was my first of many to come on my own. Tony started first shift, yahoo, but that means he has to be at work by 6:00. Needless to say, I was all on my own.

Glad you shared your week. It was fun to read. Have a wonderful week back in the routine of things.

Jen

Tera said...

Wow, I wish my hubby was a craftsman like yours! He rarely even uses a hammer! :) Your brother Jonah is so sweet. I really enjoyed getting to know him on the mission trip this summer.