Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Emily's curious mind...

Ok, so I thought I had fielded my share of "Questions" (notice the capital Q) when my girls first asked me "Where do babies come from?" "But, how do they get in there?" "Then, how do they get out?"...well, today took those types of questions to an entirely new level. Granted, the questions weren't directed to me, but, more embarrassingly, to the kids' after-school program director, Miss Karen. Let me tell you the entire story...

I went to pick the kids up today and they were playing outside on the playground. They ran in to the school to get their backpacks & Miss Karen came over to talk to me. She said Emily came over to her and asked if she knew what "gay" meant...Miss Karen is a retired teacher so she's used to these types of questions but I was still slightly mortified by this conversation already! Miss Karen replied to Emily that yes, she knew what that was. Em then went on to ask if Miss Karen knew what "S-E-X" was...yes, she spelled it out instead of saying the word (oh...my...goodness). Miss Karen replied again in the affirmative and asked Em where she had heard that word. Em explained that her "best friend" who will remain nameless had told her that she likes to throw boys on the ground, kiss them & have S-E-X with them...at this point in the conversation, I'm wishing the earth would open up & swallow me whole. I mean - this is my baby girl!! She's not supposed to be asking this at age 8...Miss Karen apparently saw my now complete mortification and assured me, in her own words, that my kid wasn't going to turn into some sex fiend by her next birthday!!! Needless to say, Shane & I plan to talk to Em about what she's heard from the other kids, if she has any questions, etc. etc.....please be thinking of us & pray that we say the right things and don't confuse her any more than necessary! I really didn't think I would be having this conversation at this point in my children's lives but unfortunately, I feel society has made kids grow up so fast...but I'm sure parents for many generations have felt that way. Why can't they just stay innocent forever?!

No comments: